December 26, 2014 12:51 am
There's nothing new about post-holiday sales on just about everything. But if Businessinsider.com is any predictor - and your New Year's resolution is to spruce up your home in 2015 - January and February are the best months to shop for a number of key home improvement items.
According to the site:
- The dead of winter is the best time to purchase warm-weather luxuries like pools and hot tubs, when prices are the lowest. Plus, it's smart to allow several months to regrow grass after it gets torn up during installation.
- Furniture showrooms get new floor models in February and are looking to clear out the current stock of couches, saving January shoppers up to 50 percent.
- Many linen and bedding retailers and department stores are also slashing prices on sheets and bedding in January and February to make room for all the new threads coming in the spring.
- Businessinsider.com says most people get new carpeting before the holidays or during summer remodeling season. That means January is one of the cheaper times to look for new floor covering.
- And since slapping on a fresh coat of paint is normally reserved for summer, the site says home improvement stores offer deeper discounts in the winter.
- Whitson Gordon at lifehacker.com suggests saving for the dark of winter to buy your new grill. He sites a Bankrate report flagging huge off-season deals on outdoor cooking appliances - at least in the colder states.
- Gordon also points to PC World's advice to find the deepest deals on computer monitors in January and February - in case you're looking to upgrade your home office.
Published with permission from RISMedia.